An Italian priest of the Catholic Church, Maurizio Pallu, who was kidnapped by gunmen in Edo State has been released.
Pallu regained his freedom at about 4 am on Wednesday, after spending five days in the kidnappers’ den.
It was gathered that the priest flew out of the country shortly after he was released.
The Catholic Bishop of Kaduna Diocese, Ndagoso Manoso, confirmed the release to reporters on Thursday.
Manoso said that the Italian Government had been informed about the development.
“I spoke with him but I have not asked him about the location. But he has been flown out of the country.
“So, I am yet to be fully briefed; those who were with him will brief me later on. He was in high spirit and that is all I can say,” he added.
The 63-year-old priest had on October 12 abducted by armed men in Benin, the state capital.
He was said to be travelling to Benin in the company of some members of his community in Kaduna when he and two others were whisked away by the abductors.
The gunmen were reported to have robbed the travellers before taking their victims away to a forest.
They were also said to have demanded an undisclosed amount as ransom.
Manoso, however, dismissed the possibility of a financial negotiation before the priest was set free.